The Tower Clock
It acts as gate of enter to the part of the town which is definite fifteenth-century suburb.
It dates back to the twelfth century, but in 1676 it was razed to the ground, during the French invasion, by means of Luigi the fourteenth's troops. 
The still visible tower is a reconstruction made in 1679, wanted by the citizen, who then made build the big clock too, by which it takes the name.
The first tower was erected on the ruins of the ancient defensive building construction, which dates back to the age of the origin of the town, that is around the fourth century BC. This thesis is confirmed by the foundations of the Tower, because they're made with big square blocks in stone from Taormina.