The fortitude Cathedral, as it was defined, was built around 1400
onto the ruins of a little medieval church dedicated to St. Nicola from Bari.
It has a structure at latin cross with three aisles. The six small altars find place in
the two side aisles. Six columns, three for side, of monolithic origin in pink marble
from Taormina and surmounted by decorated capitals in leaf and scale of fish, support
the central aisle. This one opens under a ceiling with beams of wood and carved shelves,
which reproduce Arabian motives made in Gothic style.
Of notable interest the principal portal, restructured in 1636, with a big carved rose
window inspired to the Renaissance.