It takes the name from the Corvaja family, one of the most ancient and noble
families of Taormina, which possessed it from 1538 to 1945. It rises in Abbey square and
is the most important medieval palace of which the town boasts. It has an Arabic style and
at the same time Gothic and Norman, turned out from transformations brought by various
dominations. The battlements of the tower, composed from a double series of square holes,
surmounted from little merlons, were made by Arabian craftsmen, while Gothic the mullions
(windows with two lights) in the fourteenth-century saloon, Norman the fifteenth-century
room (lit up by four mullions and by one window with three lights) where the reunions of
the Sicilian Parliament took place.
Initially it was an Arabian tower, built for military purposes. The tower was widened at
the end of the thirteenth century with the addition of the main body to the left of the
entry portal and with the addition of the entry staircase, which from the courtyard leads
to the first floor. In the landing there are three splendid panels made with the stone
from Siracusa, graven in high relief, which represent the first The creation of Eva, the
second The original sin and the third The expulsion from Heaven. The right wing of the
Palace was realized at the beginning of the fifteenth century to allow the reunions of the
Sicilian Parliament. The first reunion was held in August 1409 to elect, after the death
without heirs of Martin junior, the new King of Sicily (named then King Martin senior, who
left the regency of Sicily to the daughter in law Bianca from Navarra). Subsequently the
reunions were held in the big fifteenth-century saloon (where there is a fresco which
represents Daniel in the lions' den) with the presence of the Queen Bianca from Navarra.
For these reasons the Palace was called both the Parliament' Palace and the Queen Bianca
from Navarra Palace.
In 1946 the Palace was restored by the architect Dillon.